Friday, March 11, 2011

Pupcakes and Super Why!

Well, the title says it all. Pupcakes and Super Why! That was my week in baking. Jan, a cousin of my Mom's, approached me about making 2 dozen cookies for her twin grandson's 2nd birthday party. The concept- Super Why! It's apparently a show on PBS that is a favorite of those two little boys. She told me about a website (HUGE props to Cookie Mama- Her Super Why! cookies served as the inspiration for mine. She is so talented. Make sure you take a second to check out her blog) that she found a cute example and I went from there. Sugar cookies provided the cookie part and I used the Toba Garrett's Glace recipe. The Glace was really easy to make and tasted super. It took a bit to get used to its consistency and a few YouTube videos to learn about piping and flooding cookies with it. Once I got that down, it was fairly smooth sailing. Note to self, next time prep the colors BEFORE you start the cookies! It got a bit overwhelming at one point to try to keep my kitchen neat and organized while trying to do these cookies. All in all, I was very happy with the results of my efforts and Jan seemed to be happy with them also! I managed to forget to take final finished pictures but here are the pictures that I remembered to take!



Pupcakes. Well damn. I learned a few things with this project. Number one, when baking 6 dozen cupcakes you need either more than one cupcake pan or you need something to help with your sanity. Number two, piping 72 dogs faces on cupcakes will give you a cramp in your hand that lasts for days. But you know what, they're for a great cause and they turned out pretty darn cute.

Next on my agenda- High Hat Cupcakes. Check them out on Bakerella.com.
http://www.bakerella.com/hi-hat-cupcakes/

No comments:

Post a Comment