Saturday, March 26, 2011

It ain't all unicorns and rainbows...

Or is it?

When I turned 8 years old I had a unicorn themed birthday party. I'll never forget it. I had a white and purple shirt with a unicorn on it and purple jean shorts. I loved it. For my cake my mom had taken my shirt to Giant and photocopied it and the printed out an edible image. The day of my party she worked and I remember being SO impatient for her to come home from work because it meant it was time for my party and I'd see my cake. It was gorgeous. Chocolate cake with Bettercreme and purple reverse shell boarders on top and bottom edges and my unicorn in the middle. In purple writing it said "Happy 8th Birthday, Kara!"
It's the only birthday cake I can really remember vividly. And today at 25 I still look back on that particular birthday cake and smile.

I had the opportunity to make a birthday cake for my friend Rachel's daughter Ava. She was turning 4! The request? Unicorns! I had such a good time making this cake, it was  a real delight! I made an 8 inch Chocolate fudge semi circle (baked in Pyrex bowl), 1 dozen chocolate cupcakes and 1 dozen vanilla cupcakes (that I did in rainbows!) Everything was iced with American Vanilla Buttercream.
Rainbow cupcakes in bouquets!


The cake!



 Happy 4th Birthday, Ava! I hope that in the many  years ahead of you, you are able to look back and remember this cake fondly! Just like I did with my unicorn cake. Happy Birthday, sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment