Monday, March 14, 2011

46 days.

That's how long until my first cake competition. I'm getting nervous and excited all at the same time. I have no hopes of winning or even placing but I'm hoping to gain some experience and possibly some new ideas and techniques from it. The Great American Cake Show is in MD, April 30th and May 1st. I'm planning on entering two things, number one a tiered cake in the Beginner category and six cupcakes also in the Beginner category. While I have my entire four tiered cake planned out, I still have NO idea what I want to do with my six cupcakes other than knowing that I want to enter them.

I did some work on my cake today. Since I'm using cake dummies, I have already started my fondant decorations. I estimate that in just decorations, I should be using around 4 pounds of fondant. For my top layer, an 8 inch round, I think I'll need around 500 fondant leaves of assorted colors. I'll try to upload a picture of my sketch in the next day or so but tonight I wanted to post what I finished. The topper. My theme is Owls. They are incredibly popular right now, especially in cakes. So without further ado, here they are. The topper of my cake and right now the thing that I'm most proud of.
The guy


The gal

The couple. I LOVE THEM!

Well, I hope you like them! Like I said, I'm SO proud of them! Anyway, they've really helped me get excited about my cake. I can't wait to post pictures of the finished product! Love you <3

No comments:

Post a Comment